This division carries out various aspects of research and education in basic biology such as taxonomy, evolutionary biology, developmental biology, physiological ecology and biogeography from the molecular level to the ecosystem level using mainly temperate marine invertebrates as materials. Moreover, through extension of research fields into the global scale from tropical to boreal regions, the division also covers biology that has applied aspects such as environmental and conservation biology as subjects of research and education.
LABORATORY OF MARINE BIOLOGY
The laboratory addresses the question of how diverse marine organisms are, and evolve throughout the time, from a view point of natural history sciences. This includes comparative morphology, development, systematics, phylogeny, biogeography, and phylogeography of marine organisms by both morphological and molecular level methods. The laboratory also carries out research on conservation biology of marine organisms of various taxonomic groups from a view point of environmental change and the biotic responses. Seto Marine Biological Laboratory provides this program to undergraduate students in Faculty of Science and students in Marine Biology Course, the Graduate School of Science.
ASAKURA, Akira, D. Sc. (Kyushu Univ.), Invertebrate Zoology; Systematics, ecology, behavior, and biogeography of Crustacea
E-mail : asakura.akira.6w _at_ kyoto-u.ac.jp
* Asakura, A. (ed.) New Frontiers in Crustacean Biology. Brill, Leiden, The Netherlands, 2011, 351 pp.
* Asakura, A. Evolution of mating system in decapod crustaceans. In: Joel W. Martin, Keith A. Crandall, and Darryl L. Felder (eds.), Decapod Crustacean Phylogenetics. Taylor & Francis, New York, U.S.A. 2009. p.121-182,
* Asakura, A. A revision of the hermit crabs of the genera Catapagurus A. Milne-Edwards and Hemipagurus Smith from the Indo-West Pacific (Crustacea: Decapoda: Anomura: Paguridae). p.121-182, Invertebrate Taxonomy. 2001, 15, p.823-891.
SHIMOMURA, Michitaka, D. Sc. (Hokkaido Univ.), Invertebrate Zoology; Taxonomy
E-mail : shimomura.michitaka.5w _at_ kyoto-u.ac.jp
* Shimomura, M. (2017) A new species of Aspidophryxus (Isopoda, Dajidae), ectoparasitic on Mysidella hoshinoi (Mysidae) in Japan. ZooKeys, 646, 109-118.
* Shimomura, M. (2009) Ten new species of paramunnid isopods (Peracarida: Asellota: Paramunnidae) from Kyushu, southern Japan. Bulletin of the National Museum of Nature and Science, Series A (Zoology), Supplement, 3: 47-88.
* Shimomura, M., Ohtsuka, S. and Naito, K. (2005) Prodajus curviabdominalis n. sp. (Isopoda: Epicaridea: Dajidae), an ectoparasite of mysids, with notes on morphological changes, behavior and life-cycle. Systematic Parasitology, 60: 39-57.
NAKANO, Tomoyuki, D. Sc. (Nagoya Univ.), Invertebrate Zoology; Molecular Phylogeny and Phylogeography
E-mail : nakano.tomoyuki.2a _at_ kyoto-u.ac.jp
* Nakano, T. ; Sasaki, T. ; Kase, T. (2010) “Color polymorphism and historical biogeography in the Japanese patellogastropod limpet Cellana nigrolineata (Reeve) (Patellogastropoda: Nacellidae).” Zoological Science., 27, p.811-820.
* Nakano, T. ; Ozawa, T. (2007) “Worldwide phylogeography of limpets of the order Patellogastropoda: molecular, morphological and palaeontological evidence.” Journal of Molluscan Studies., 73, p.79-99.
* Nakano, T. ; Spencer, H.G. (2007) “Simultaneous polyphenism and cryptic species in an intertidal limpet from New Zealand.” Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution., 45, p.470-479.
■Program-Specific Junior Associate Professor
KAWAMURA, Mariko, D. Sc. (Kyoto Univ.), Marine Biology, Biomineralogy
E-mail : kawamura.mariko.7e _at_ kyoto-u.ac.jp
* Kawamura M., Ishihara R., Oshiro K., Ishida M. (2023) Long tubules of tentacular nematocysts in the moon jellyfish Aurelia coerulea (Semaeostomeae, Scyphozoa, Cnidaria) from Tanabe Bay, Pacific coast of southern Japan. Plankton and Benthos Research 18, 60–62.
* Kawamura M., Kubota S. (2008) Influences of temperature and salinity on asexual budding by hydromedusa Proboscidactyla ornata (Cnidaria: Hydrozoa: Proboscidactylidae). Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 88, 1601–1606.
* Kawamura M., Ueno S., Iwanaga S., Oshiro N., Kubota S. (2003) The relationship between fine rings in the statolith and growth of the cubomedusa Chiropsalmus quadrigatus (Cnidaria: Cubozoa) from Okinawa Island, Japan. Plankton Biology and Ecology 50, 37–42.
GOTO, Ryutaro, D. Human and Environmental Studies (Kyoto Univ.), Evolutionary Biology, Ecology, Marine Biology, Invertebrate Systematics, Symbiosis
E-mail : goto.ryutaro.8n _at_ kyoto-u.ac.jp
* Goto R (2016) A comprehensive molecuar phylogeny of spoon worms (Echiura, Annelida): Implications for morphological evolution, the origin of dwarf males, and habitat shifts. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 99: 247–260.
* Goto R, Kawakita A, Ishikawa H, Hamamura Y, Kato M (2012) Molecular phylogeny of the bivalve superfamily Galeommatoidea (Heterodonta, Veneroida) reveals dynamic evolution of symbiotic lifestyle and interphylum host switching. BMC Evolutionary Biology 12:172.
* Goto R, Kato M (2012) Geographic mosaic of mutually exclusive dominance of obligate commensals in symbiotic communities associated with a burrowing echiuran worm. Marine Biology 159: 319–330
YAMAMORI, Luna, D. Human and Environmental Studies (Kyoto Univ.), Natural History of Marine Invertebrates
E-mail : yamamori.luna.7m _at_ kyoto-u.ac.jp
* Yamamori, L., & Kato, M. (2017) The macrobenthic community in intertidal sea urchin pits and an obligate inquilinism of a limpet-shaped trochid gastropod in the pits. *Marine biology*, *164*(3), 61.
* Yamamori, L., & Kato, M. (2018) Morphological and ecological adaptation of limpet-shaped top shells (Gastropoda: Trochidae: Fossarininae) to wave-swept rock reef habitats. *PloS one*, *13*(8), e0197719.
* Yamamori, L., & Kato, M. (2020) Shift of feeding mode in an epizoic stalked barnacle inducing gall formation of host sea urchin. *Iscience*, *23*(3), 100885.
■Program-Specific Assistant Professor
BAO, Sarina, D.Agr. (Kyoto Univ.), Rural Planning, Sustainable Rural Development, Animal Behavior, Fish Behavior
E-mail : bao.sarina.7w _at_ kyoto-u.ac.jp
* Sarina Bao, Toshihiro Hattori (2017) Study on Migration Information Collection of the Migration Applicant in the Capital Area-Based on the Web Questionnaire. Journal of Rural Planning, Vol. 36, pp. 209-216.
* Sarina Bao, Toshihiro Hattori (2017) Analysis on the Mind and the Conditions to Move of the Migration Applicant in Capital Area by the Web Questionnaires, Journal of Environmental Information Science, Vol. 31, pp. 231-236.
* Sarina Bao, Toshihiro Hattori (2016) The Role of the Support Farmers in the Securing of Farmland for Newcomers-the Case Study of Minami-Aizu in Fukushima Prefecture, Journal of Rural Planning, Vol. 35, pp. 259-265.
LABORATORY OF FISHERIES AND ENVIRONMENTAL OCEANOGRAPHY
We study to clarify the aquatic ecosystem that maintains the sustainable fisheries production, the mechanism of the change of the ecosystem and the behavior ecology of fishes and aquatic mammals in the aquatic biosphere including marine and fresh waters. In order to research these topics, we perform the stable isotope analysis, the simulation using ecological models and bio-logging techniques including biotelemetry and micro-data loggers. This laboratory is a temporary cooperative laboratory from the Graduate School of Agriculture.
MITAMURA, Hiromichi, D. Info. (Kyoto Univ.), Animal ecology, Animal behaviour
E-mail : mitamura.hiromichi.2x _at_ kyoto-u.ac.jp
* Hiromichi Mitamura, Eva B. Thorstad, Ingebrigt Uglem, Finn Okland. (2017) “In situ measurement of salinity during seaward migration of Atlantic salmon post-smolts using acoustic transmitters with data-storage capabilities and conventional acoustic transmitters.” Animal Biotelemetry. 5:5
* Hiromichi Mitamura, Keiichi Uchida, Yoshinori Miyamoto, Toshiharu Kakihara, Aki Miyagi, Yuuki Kawabata, Kotaro Ichikawa, Nobuaki Arai. (2012) “Short-range homing in a site-specific fish: search and directed movements.” The Journal of Experimental Biology. Vol. 215, 2751-2759.
* Hiromichi Mitamura, Nobuaki Arai, Wataru Sakamoto, Yasushi Mitsunaga, Hideji Tanaka, Yukinori Mukai, Kenji Nakamura, Masato Sasaki, Yoshihiro Yoneda. (2005) “Role of olfaction and vision in homing behaviour of black rockfish Sebastes inermis.” Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. Vol.322; 123-134.
YAMASHITA, Yoh, D. Agr. (Univ. of Tokyo), Coastal Ecology, Ecophysiology, Nursery Habitats
E-mail : yamashita.yoh.4c _at_ kyoto-u.ac.jp
* Antonio, S. Emily ; Kasai, Akihide ; Ueno, Masahiro ; Yuka, Ishihi ; Yokoyama, Hisashi ; Yamashita, Yoh . “Spatial-temporal feeding dynamics of benthic communities in an estuary-marine gradient. Estuarine.” Coastal and Shelf Science. 2012, 112, p.86-97.
* Yatsuya, Miwa; Masahiro, Ueno ; Yoh, Yamashita. “Life history of the amphidromous shrimp Caridina leucosticta (Decapoda: Caridea:Atyidae) in the Isazu River, Japan.” Journal of Crustacean Biology. 2013, 33(4), p.488–502.
* Walsh, L. Michelle ; Masuda, Reiji ; Yamashita, Yoh “The influence of cage conditioning on the performance and behavior of Japanese flounder reared for stock enhancement: Burying, feeding, and threat response.” Journal of Sea Research. 2014, 84, p.447-455.
ICHIKAWA, Kotaro, D.Info. (Kyoto Univ.), Underwater bioacoustics and acoustic telemetry
E-mail : ichikawa.kotaro.5r _at_ kyoto-u.ac.jp
* Ando-Mizobata, N. ; Ichikawa, K. ; Arai, N. ; Kato, H. (2014) “Does boat noise affect dugong (Dugong dugon) vocalization?” Mammal Study., 36, p.121-127.
* Matsuo, Y. ; Ichikawa, K. ; Ando-Mizobata, N. ; Arai, N. (2013) “Cyclic change of dugong’s vocal behavior.” Journal of Advanced Marine Science and Technology., 19, p.1-4.
* Ichikawa, K. ; Akamatsu, T. ; Arai, N. ; Shinke, T. ; Adulyanukosol, K. (2011) “Callback response of dugongs to conspecific chirp playbacks.” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America., 129, p.3623-3629.
KOBAYASHI, Shiho, D. Agr. (Kyoto Univ.), Marine Science, Physical-biological interaction in coastal seas
E-mail : kobayashi.shiho.2z _at_ kyoto-u.ac.jp
* Kobayashi, Shiho ; Fujiwara, Tateki ; Zenitani, Hiromu ; Nagamoto, Kazuhisa ; Futamura, Akira. (2010) “Gravitational circulation and its response to the variation in river discharge in the Seto Inland Sea, Japan.” Journal of Geophysical Research., VOL. 115, C03009, doi:10.1029/2007JC004503.
* Kobayashi, Shiho ; Hashimoto, Eisuke ; Nagao, Masayuki ; Takasugi, Yoshio. (2009) “The variation of turbulent energy dissipation and water column stratification at the entrance of a tidally energetic strait.” Journal of Oceanography., 65(5), p.657-664.
* Kobayashi, Shiho ; Fujiwara, Tateki . (2009) “Modeling the long-term variability of shelf water intrusion into the Seto Inland Sea, Japan.” Journal of Marine Research., 77, p.341-349.
■Program-Specific Assistant Professor
KUME, Manabu, Ph. D in Fisheries Science (Hokkaido Univ.), Fish Evolutionary Ecology, Life History, Ecological Speciation
E-mail : kume.manabu.6x _at_ kyoto-u.ac.jp
* Kume, M., Y. Terashima, F. Kawai, A. Kutzer, T. Wada and Y. Yamashita (2020) “Size-dependent change in habitat use of Japanese eel Anguilla japonica during the river life stage.” Environmental Biology of Fishes 103(3): 269–281.
* Kume, M., S. Mori, J. Kitano, T. Sumi and S. Nishida (2018) “Impact of the huge 2011 Tohoku-oki tsunami on the phenotypes and genotypes of Japanese coastal threespine stickleback populations.” Scientific Reports 8: 1684.
* Kume, M., J. Kitano, S. Mori and T. Shibuya (2010) “Ecological divergence and habitat isolation between two migratory forms of Japanese threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus).” Journal of Evolutionary Biology 23(7): 1436-1446.